[oXygen-user] Author : Number of characters

Rogie Isabelle
Mon May 10 09:56:11 CDT 2010

Hello,

Thanks for this idea!
I just add the function normalize-space to suppress space on this line:
<xsl:with-param name='sum' select='$sum + string-length(normalize-space($nodes[1]))'/>

I wanted only the number of characters in element p. So I change the selection:
	<xsl:with-param name='nodes' select='//p/text()'/>
But it doesn't work. The number of characters is 0

Regards,

Isabelle Rogie

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Radu Coravu [mailto:]
Envoyé : lundi 10 mai 2010 11:18
À :
Objet : Re: [oXygen-user] Author : Number of characters

Hi Isabelle,

We have some plans to add actions in Oxygen for counting words and
characters.
In the meantime you can create an XSLT stylesheet with the following
content:

<xsl:stylesheet version='1.0'
     xmlns:xsl='http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform'>

<xsl:template match='/'>
<xsl:text>The document contains </xsl:text>
<xsl:call-template name='add'>
<xsl:with-param name='nodes'
                         select='//text()'/>
</xsl:call-template>
<xsl:text> characters.
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name='add'>
<xsl:param name='sum' select='0'/>
<xsl:param name='nodes' select='/..'/>

<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test='not($nodes)'>
<xsl:value-of select='$sum'/>
</xsl:when>
<xsl:otherwise>
<xsl:call-template name='add'>
<xsl:with-param name='sum'
                         select='$sum + string-length($nodes[1])'/>
<xsl:with-param name='nodes'
                         select='$nodes[position() != 1]'/>
</xsl:call-template>
</xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

and apply it on the XML file.
If you need to count words, there is an XSLT stylesheet available here:

<oXygen/>   XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com