[oXygen-user] Re : [ann] oXygen 11 beta

George Cristian Bina
Thu Sep 17 10:10:23 CDT 2009

Hi Florent,

Thank you for your feedback!
Please find my comments below.

Florent Georges wrote:
> George Cristian Bina wrote:
>
>   Hi George, and all oXygen team,
>
>> We just uploaded oXygen 11 beta
>
>   Very good!  The beta installs smoothly, and seems stable, as
> usual.  The most interesting features are IMHO XProc support and
> XSLT documentation (the first two new features in your list :-p.)
> At first glance, the only feature I still miss is being able to
> open several projects at the same time.  Just a few thoughts
> about the beta, just in case:
>
>   - it seems it is not possible to use the same documentation
>     system in XProc than in XSLT, that would be great though (but
>     embedded in p:documentation elements of course);

The XSLT documentation is built for XSLT (as the XSD documentation is
built for XML Schema) and analyzes the stylesheet determining the
components, their documentation and where each component is used. That
cannot be directly translated to XProc, and that is the main part of the
documentation support.

>   - there is no support for the XSLT document type within the
>     p:xslt step.  If oXygen completion is based on Relax NG, you
>     can maybe use something like in this blog entry[1].  I think
>     that's something that would make the XProc support very more
>     convenient on a daily basis;

I will look into this.
The approach I am considering is to use the oXygen content completion
for XSLT as that has the schemas annotated providing documentation for
the XSLT instructions and attributes and may offer also some XPath
completion support.

>   - a few completion opportunities are not taken into account in
>     XProc, for instance the port names on standard (or even user-
>     defined) steps, as well as option names, or for step and port
>     names on p:pipe;

This is one area of improvement, yes. We have some specific handlers for
XML Schema, XSLT, etc. that look into the document or offer some built
in knowledge to enhance what we can determine automatically from a schema.

>   - maybe xmlns:c should be added on a new pipeline document,
>     along with xmlns:p;

Ok, we will add a declaration in the default XProc template for the
http://www.w3.org/ns/xproc-step namespace.

>   - within XProc scenarii, there is nothing regarding input
>     ports, and output ports are not taken from the selected
>     pipeline (as opposed to the params in an XSLT scenario, that
>     are listed from the selected stylesheet.)

We will look into allowing to specify the input ports bindings in the
scenarios. For the output we implemented the detection of output ports
so it is a bug that it does not work.

>   Anyway, those are just thoughts, and this is very nice to see
> XProc support in oXygen already!  And there is even ${env(...)}
> substitution :-)
>
> [1]http://fgeorges.blogspot.com/2008/11/xproc-with-xslt-completion-in-oxygen.html
>
>   Congrats!

Thanks again for your feedback!