[oXygen-user] request: resolve entity refs in err msgs

Mark Baker
Sat Sep 12 23:45:52 CDT 2009

Syd,

The output of xsl:message is not a text string, it is an XML fragment. Per
the XSLT spec (http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#message):

The xsl:message instruction sends a message in a way that is dependent on
the XSLT processor. The content of the xsl:message instruction is a
template. The xsl:message is instantiated by instantiating the content to
create an XML fragment. This XML fragment is the content of the message.

Since "<" has to be escaped when an XML fragment is serialized, you are
going to see &lt; in any reasonable representation of the message output.
The upside of the fact that the output of xsl:message is an XML fragment is
that you can put an actual "duck" element into the message:

<xsl:message>I found a <duck/> element</xsl:message>

Or

<xsl:message>I found a <duck>...</duck> element</xsl:message>

Mark

---
Mark Baker
Analecta Communications Inc.
www.analecta.com
+1 613 614 5881

* Experience is normative; language is contingent. *