[oXygen-user] Can't increase stack size.

Andrew Welch
Mon Mar 17 05:20:46 CDT 2008

On 14/03/2008, Gavin Kistner <> wrote:
> Oxygen is overflowing the stack trying to validate one of my XML files against its schema. However, if I modify this file:
>   C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 9\oxygen.vmoptions
>  from this:
>   -Xmx700m
>  to this:
>   -Xmx700m -Xss1024k
>  Oxygen fails to start. I select it from the Start Menu and get this message:
>   Error
>   The JVM could not be started. The main method may have thrown an exception.
>
>  If I delete the Xss option again it works. I've tried values of 512k, 512 and 1024k.

It fails because the minimum heap size switch is "Xms" not xss... (and
I think the default is 1m anyway)

Also, setting that switch wouldn't make any difference because that is
the amount of memory the JVM grabs at startup - it will continue to
use more memory until it hits the value specified by the Xmx switch.

I'm afraid I can't help with the main problem of stack overflow, other
than to try using Java 1.6 and/or Saxon as the schema processor
(assuming your regex was good)

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com