[oXygen-user] Big Graphic Causes "Restart with more memory" Loop

Eliot Kimber
Wed Jan 30 08:52:39 CST 2008

Radu Coravu wrote:
> Hi Eliot,
>
> The image is actually 9350 X 10288 pixels with 24 bits of depth.
> Expanded in memory this should occupy at least 288 MBytes (9350 x 10288
> x 3 bytes).
> We opened it with a regular image viewer and this is actually the amount
> it actually needed to display the image.
> So Oxygen would need at least 400 MBs for the same image (300 for the
> image and 100 for the editor itself).
> Scaling the picture is not actually an easy task to do because the image
> needs to be loaded fully in memory before scaling it.

Yow--I had no idea.

So clearly the best you can do is just not load it and provide some
indicator that the picture is too big to show.

I suppose you could span a new JVM to do downsampling to make it
viewable but that hardly seems worth the effort.

Cheers,

Eliot

--
Eliot Kimber