[oXygen-user] DITA Feature Request -- Insert href to files

Seraphim Larsen
Fri Aug 22 15:34:52 CDT 2008

It would be nice to have a better method for inserting the hrefs for <xref>,

As far as I can tell, the current feature set allows you to insert these
elements, but then you need to hand-code the href.

Would be nice to have a dialog box that allows you to select the target file
-- for example, something like the way you can currently insert conrefs.

Even nicer, it would be great to be able to drag-and-drop from the Project
pane.  For example, drag a topic file, and drop into an open DITA file (in
Text or Author view), and an xref is inserted.   Ctrl-drag, and a Related
Link is inserted.   Drag a graphic, and an <image> element is inserted, with
the href already correctly defined.

To get an xref to a particular element, it would be nice to have a feature
something like this:

   - Select the target element
   - Select menu item "Create xref to target element", which results in the
   following:
      - If the selected element has no id attribute, an id attribute is
      created, or a dialog box opens, telling the user to specify the
id attribute
      - The clipboard is then populated with the <xref> element with the
      href already correctly defined.
      - An optional dialog box could appear, telling the user that the xref
      has been formed and is on the clipboard
   - You then go to the place where you want to put the xref, and just paste
   it in.
   - Oxygen should adjust the syntax of the href, depending on where the
      user pastes it in.  This would not just be a simple copy-paste, but would
      require some additional intelligence from Oxygen:
      - If the xref is pointing to content in the same file, the following
         syntax is used (as per the DITA Language
Spec<http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/OS/langspec/langref/xref.html#xref__attrs>
         ):
              href="#topicID"
              href="#topicID/elemID
         - If the xref target is in a different file:
              href="filename.dita#topicID"
              href="fname.dita#topicID/elemID"

It would be nice to have similar copy/paste functionality for conrefs.
Much easier than navigating through a dialog box.

Thanks,

Seraphim