[oXygen-user] Protocol Handler Plugin

Eliot Kimber
Wed Oct 31 16:56:55 CDT 2007

I seem to have my protocol handler working so that I can now open and save
(commit) files back to the RSuite repository.

A couple of feature requests that would make things a little cleaner/more
complete:

- The ability to set the read-only flag on the file, either on open or
following a save. In my case, one can commit a file and release the lock on
the file. But the file is still open in the editor so it needs to be set to
read-only since the user cannot at that point save it back to the
repository.

- A way to silently cancel the save or otherwise provide a non-failure
message. In my case, on save the user has to provide some check-in
information (message, etc.) and can cancel the check-in at the point. All I
can see to do is throw an IOException in that case, which results in a
"Cannot save" message box, rather than either a "Save canceled" or just
silence (either would be OK in this case).

- A call on close so that I can, for example, give the user the opportunity
to do a final commit or change the lock status or whatever. This is scenario
where users might be saving to a temp location as they work and then want to
save to the final location on close.

Alternatively, a way to add my own save menu items, e.g., "save as new
version", "commit and release lock", etc. I can provide these choices during
save but users would expect those options on the File menu.

It would also be useful to be able to get access to Oxygen-specific
properties of the file, such as its validation status, so that I can prevent
commit of invalid or non-well-formed docs. Obviously I can do those checks
in my own code, but Oxygen already knows (or can know) those things.

Thanks,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber
Senior Solutions Architect

Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive.