[oXygen-user] Errors using Oxygen 8.0RC1 with eXist in Eclipse

Daniel E. Renfer
Mon Nov 13 22:24:40 CST 2006

On 11/13/06, Stefan Vasile <> wrote:
> Dear Daniel,
>
> > When I try to configure an eXist db in the Oxygen DB perspective, I
> > get "ERROR: org/apache/commons/httpclient/HttpClient" I don't always
> > get this error. I've been able to get the listing of collections from
> > time to time.
>
> There was a problem on our side that affected only the oXygen Eclipse
> plugin distribution.
> We fixed the problem. The new kit is available at:
>
> All platforms distribution
> --------------------------
> http://www.oxygenxml.com/update/Oxygen8.0_RC2/All/oxygen.tar.gz
>
> Eclipse plugin distribution - update site URL
> http://www.oxygenxml.com/update/Oxygen8.0_RC2/Eclipse/site.xml

Good to hear. I'll test the new version later

> > I tested this with the standalone Oxygen after I was
> > able to get the listing under XP, because I didn't realize at the time
> > that Oxygen refuses to open any file that's not *.xml (very annoying
> > btw) I was able to open and save /db/system/users.xml, but when I went
> > back into Eclipse to see if I could open that file, I saw the same
> > httpclient error that I originally saw on Ubuntu.
>
> We will add the possibility to open any file extension in the final release.

This will be very welcome, considering that the #2 thing that's liable
to be in an eXist database would be *.xq files.

> > When I first tried to upgrade from the 7.2 plugin to the 8.0RC1 plugin
> > under Ubuntu (with other existing plugins) I started getting errors
> > that the view could not be displayed, and that I should check the log.
> > I'm not quite sure where this log would be, but I found a few messages
> > related to Oxygen in ~/workspace/.metadata/.log as well as some more
> > recent ones related to Aptana. I'm not sure if it's a conflict with
> > Aptana and Oxygen, or if Aptana was just screwing up on it's own. I
> > removed Aptana and a few (but not all) of the errors went away. I also
> > removed all Oxygen plugins and re-installed, which took care of a few
> > more errors.
>
> We are not aware of any conflicts with Aptana plugin.

Once I update to the new version, I'll try re-adding Aptana and see
what it's doing.

> > On a few occasions, I got notification that the resource was locked,
> > and was asked if it should try to re-lock it. This may or may not be
> > because all during this time I was running eXist from within Tomcat
> > from within Eclipse. I ended up re-starting many times and the server
> > didn't always get shut down properly every time. This was why I
> > decided to reboot and try it under XP with fresh everything. (Eclipse,
> > workspace, Oxygen plugin, eXist 1.1.1 running under jetty)
>
> We lock the resource automatically when you open it into the editor and
> we unlock it when you close the editor or close the Eclipse IDE.
> The notification appears when the resource is locked by someone else
> (this might also happen if the Eclipse exits abnormally and does not
> unlock a previously used resource).

that's probably what happened.

> > I'm using the latest JDK in all instances.
> >
> > Are these bugs with Oxygen, or am I doing things wrong? Does it screw
> > it up if you try to include jars in addition to the 3 required? What
> > if they're named differently?
>
> The jars you intend to add to the eXist datasource definition will not
> interfere with the oXygen jars so it is possible to add other jars if
> needed.
> Please let me know what are the jars you are trying to additionally add
> to the datasource.

I wasn't really trying to add any extra jars per se. I had 4 eXist
jars in my lib folder. I knew that 3 of them were needed, but I didn't
feel like going to the site to see which of the 2 were needed. I
figured it wouldn't matter. (like a classpath) In one case I just
added the entire WEB-INF/lib/core just because I was annoyed and
CTRL+a is faster than 3 CTRL+clicking. I was just throwing that out
there as a possible problem.

I'll post back if I encounter any new bugs w/ RC2

Daniel E. Renfer
http://kronkltd.net/