[oXygen-user] Automating XML Document Chaining and Piplining

Wendell Piez
Wed Mar 22 14:52:52 CST 2006

Ray,

In addition to the native feature in oXygen described by Sorin, and
full-fledged pipelining frameworks such as Cocoon and Ant, there are
at least two other ways you can do it, both of which should work
either inside or outside oXygen.

The first is to wire your pipeline up into a shell script or batch
file, and invoke it in oXygen as an external tool. You would probably
want to set this up in Preferences to accept a paramaterized input file.

Another way is to use a feature for pipelining provided by an XSLT
engine. For example, Saxon 6.5.5 has an extension attribute
saxon:next-in-chain which you can place on an xsl:output setting in
your stylesheet. (Google for more details.) You could thus modify the
stylesheets each to call the next in the chain. (If you don't want to
edit the stylesheets themselves you could import them into "shell"
stylesheets which you could so edit.) As long as you still use Saxon,
this would also work fine outside oXygen.

Note that these different methods all pass the result document to the
next step in the process in different ways. A brute-force batch
process, or Ant, for example, will write an actual XML file (and then
maybe clean it up for you). Other methods will pass a sequence of SAX
(parser) events, which is not so transparent for debugging but is
rather more efficient (the disk doesn't have to be written to or
read), or even entire tree objects, which is more efficient still.
Saxon, IIRC, passes SAX events. Sorin or someone will have to tell
you what oXygen does when it manages this process.

Pipelining is definitely a taste of things to come. In XSLT 2.0,
pipelining can be done entirely within a single stylesheet.

Good luck,
Wendell

At 03:22 AM 3/22/2006, Sorin Ristache wrote:
>Hello Ray,
>
>You can run all the transformations with one mouse click by
>cascading the stylesheets in the transformation scenario. In the
>scenario edit dialog put the URL of wordml-normalise.xsl in the XSL
>URL combo box, click on the Additional XSLT stylesheets button and
>in the dialog enter the URLs of the next stylesheets of the cascade
>using the Add button: wordml-sections.xsl, wordml-blocks.xsl,
>wordml-final.xsl. You can add at the end of the list also
>html/docbook.xsl or fo/docbook.xsl or other DocBook stylesheet to be
>applied to what you call my-docbook.xml, that is the result of the
>WordML to DocBook stylesheets. If you use fo/docbook.xsl you can
>also enable FO processing in the FO Processor tab of the scenario
>edit dialog to generate the PDF result with the same transformation
>scenario, at the end of the XSLT cascade.
>

>Best regards,
>Sorin
>

>Ray Miller wrote:
>>oXygen-7.0.0 (eclipse-3.1.2 plugin)
>>Transforming a WordML document into Docbook involves "chaining" the
>>XML document through a "pipeline" of XSL stylesheets. There are
>>four XSL <http://www.w3.org/Style/XSL> stylesheets involved:
>>|wordml-normalise.xsl|, |wordml-sections.xsl|, |wordml-blocks.xsl|
>>and |wordml-final.xsl|.
>>Example usage:
>>xsltproc -o normalised.xml wordml-normalise.xsl my-word.xml
>>xsltproc -o sections.xml wordml-sections.xsl normalised.xml
>>xsltproc -o blocks.xml wordml-blocks.xsl sections.xml
>>xsltproc -o my-docbook.xml wordml-final.xsl blocks.xml
>>
>>How does one configure oXygen to automate this process ???
>>
>>Ray

Wendell Piez                            mailto: