[oXygen-user] Using Oxygen under Linux

James Cummings
Tue Jun 13 06:19:03 CDT 2006

Richard MAHONEY wrote:
>> I can create the menu item, or launcher, and can confirm all of the
>> paths are correct. Oxygen appears to start, I can see a process start
>> and HDD activity, however no window is displayed and the process
>> quickly stops.
>>
>> If I launch oxygen via a terminal window, inside gnome, everything
>> works as expected.
>>
>> Does anyone have any thoughts?

While we don't make any promises that it will necessarily always be there, the
TEI packages up a copy of oxygen as a debian package.  Add:

deb http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/teideb binary/

in debian (or Ubuntu).  Then "apt-get update" and "apt-get install tei-oxygen"

> For what its worth, here is ~/Desktop/Oxygen.desktop from a Sun Java
> Desktop System (also based on Gnome) (Solaris 10):
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Version=1.0
> Type=Application
> Exec=/home/rbm49/oxygen/oxygen.sh
> TryExec=
> Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/blueprint-gnome-mime-application-java.png
> X-GNOME-DocPath=
> Terminal=false
> Name=Oxygen
> GenericName=Oxygen
> Comment=Oxygen

For comparison, the one the package above uses is:

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=oXygen XML editor
MimeType=text/xml
Name=oXygen
Exec=/usr/bin/oxygen
X-AppInstall-Package=oxygen
Encoding=UTF-8
Terminal=false
GenericName=oXygen
Version=7.1
Type=Application
X-AppInstall-Section=main
Categories=Application;Development;
TryExec=oxygen
Icon=OxygenLinux.xpm

in /usr/share/applications/oxygen.desktop

-James