[oXygen-user] "content is not allowed in prolog" using Oxygen for MXML files

Syd Bauman
Thu Jun 1 14:53:48 CDT 2006

> I'm trying to use Oxygen to edit MXML files (Macromedia Flex).
> Everything works fine except that this error always appears:
> content is not allowed in prolog. What's up with this? Here's the
> line it chokes on:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> This is the way all Flex files start and there don't seem to be any
> problems there. Anybody know what's up?

I would not be at all suprised if there were an extraneous invisible
character somewhere in there, likely before the initial "<". This
problem catches me every time I copy something from Emacs into oXygen
on a Macintosh. (Perhaps a BOM?)