[oXygen-user] v 6.0: Find misbehaves

Lars Huttar
Fri Jun 10 21:03:08 CDT 2005

Sorin Ristache wrote:

> Dear Lars Huttar,
>
> I tried <oXygen/> 6.0 build 2005051612 on Windows XP SP 2, Mac OS X
> 10.4.1 Tiger and Linux Mandrake 10 but I could not reproduce any part
> of the reported random misbehavior of the Find/Replace dialog. Please
> specify if you are using a custom look and feel installed in <oXygen/>.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using Windows XP SP2, and Oxygen is set to use the "Windows"
look-and-feel.

> In order to find what could cause the misbehavior on your machine
> please copy the attached file to the [oXygen-installed-dir]/lib
> directory, restart <oXygen/>, repeat the steps that lead to the bugs
> and reply with the oxygen.log file generated in the
> [oXygen-installed-dir] directory.

OK. I have done so and will let you know if I'm able to reproduce the
behavior again.
I do tend to run a lot of applications at once, and my computer had not
been rebooted for a few days, so it's possible that Oxygen was suffering
from memory problems (although I didn't see any messages to that effect).

> Also see the remarks below.
>

> Lars Huttar wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Running Oxygen 6.0, build 2005051612.
>> Sometimes, Find works perfectly: I type a string in the "Text to
>> find" field and press Enter, and the window scrolls to where an
>> occurrence of the string is, and the found string is highlighted.
>> Other times, when I press Enter, I only get the Find: Search
>> Completed [OK] dialog, implying that the search string is nowhere in
>> the file... even though it's right there before my eyes (and after
>> where the cursor is).
>

> Please make sure the find criteria set by the checkboxes and radio
> buttons allow the find match that you think <oXygen/> is missing. For
> example if the search is backward and with no wrap around you will
> never get a find match after the current caret position.

Yes, I made sure of that.

>> Still other times, I get both: the "Find: Search Completed [OK]"
>> dialog, and then half a second later, it scrolls down and highlights
>> an occurrence.
>

> With only one push of the ENTER key ?

Yes.
And by the way, it doesn't matter whether I press Enter or click the OK
button using the mouse.

> It is strange but maybe the log file will help us to debug it.
>

>> It's gotten to the point where, if I search for something and don't
>> find it, I can't be certain it's not there. I either look for it by
>> eyeball, or have to open a different editor.
>>

>> On a related note, if I go to the Find dialog and type a string that
>> isn't in the file, and press Enter, of course I get the "Find: Search
>> Completed [OK]" dialog; but when I press Enter again to close the
>> latter dialog, it closes and immediately pops up again. (But only
>> once, not repeatedly.)
>

> The "Find: Search Completed [OK]" dialog pops up again after closing
> it with ENTER only when the search returns no match or it happens
> every time when this dialog is displayed ?

Only when the string is not in the document (e.g. "sdjlfksjdfls"); but
even then, not every time. Yesterday it was doing this about 50% of the
time. (Sorry I forgot to say "sometimes" in the above description.)

Regards,
Lars