[oXygen-user] Re: Conversion from XML docs or DTD to Schema

Sean Wheller
Thu Oct 23 10:47:11 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sam Pullara" <>
To: <>
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2003 7:46 AM
Subject: Conversion from XML docs or DTD to Schema

> Hi,
>
> I was reading the feature list and it says:
>
> - Conversions from DTD, Relax NG schema or a set of
documents to XML
> Schema, DTD or Relax NG schema
>
> I read your doc and you show how to convert an XML
document(s) to a DTD
> but I don't see how to convert a DTD or a set of
documents to an XML
> Schema.  Thats basically why I am trying to use the
software but I
> can't see how it can be done.
>
> Thanks,
> Sam

Hello Sam,

Thanks for your question.

In Oxygen you can learn the structure of an XML
Document and save to a DTD.
If you then want to convert the DTD to an XSD, the
trang plugin, bundled
with Oxygen, can then be used to convert to XSD or
Relax NG.

The general procedure would be as follows:
1. Open you XML document.
2. Learn the structure by clicking the "learn
structure" button located on
the editor toolbar.
3. Save to a DTD by clicking the "save structure"
button. You now have a
DTD.
4. To convert it. From the main menu select Plugins >
Trang Wrapper.
5. Set the input and output, the click Convert.

The DTD will be transformed to the selected output.

I hope this helps. I have also posted your question to
oxygen-users.

Sean Wheller