[oXygen-user] JAI

Sorin Ristache
Fri Dec 12 02:25:22 CST 2003

Hello,

There are a couple of benefits to using JAI:

- faster image processing;

- JAI is still maintained by Sun and has many features not present in
JIMI (image tiling, regions of interest, deferred execution, etc.),
whereas JIMI is a legacy library;

- JAI is an extensible API, so you can add new image processing
capabilities or plug in your own implementation, although only the Sun's
reference implementation is known to work well at this time;

But:

- Sun's implementation of JAI is not pure Java (it uses native code on
Windows, Solaris and Linux but only for performance enhancements). For
example Sun provides no Mac OS implementation, which certainly settles
the whole issue against including JAI in <oXygen/>. Some users were able
to get JAI to run on Mac OS X by downloading the pure Java version of
JAI and then placing the jar files in the proper locations but this is
explicitly not supported by Sun and is not accelerated to take advantage
of the Macintosh architecture. According to Sun's website their JAI
implementation has not yet been certified as 100% pure Java application
and Sun and Apple are working on an agreement to make a Mac implementation;

- JAI cannot be used with FOP versions older than 0.20.5, because these
versions were not compiled with JAI support, so it will not work with
<oXygen/> version 2.0.4 which includes FOP 0.20.4 (we plan to include
the latest FOP version, that is 0.20.5, in the next release of <oXygen/>
but we found some image rendering problems with it). This obviates your
second question, Sean. Sorry.