Problem connecting to proxy in Oxygen 9.1

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
catafalque

Problem connecting to proxy in Oxygen 9.1

Post by catafalque »

I've recently installed Oxygen 9.1, build 2007122116, WinXP Pro SP2 and cannot validate some documents, as Oxygen doesn't seem to be able to connect to my organisation's proxy server. When I try to validate I just get the dialog box popping up that asks me to provide the proxy details.

In Preferences under Proxy Settings I have tried "use system settings" and manual configuration, both with the same result. No other programme I use ever asks me to enter proxy details, I've always assumed they just use the system settings (which are set centrally and not under my control).

One thing: the message in the dialog box says "Proxy web server: null" in its first line; is this normal? The second line then gives the Host (correctly, I think).

Any help is much appreciated, and of course do ask if I have failed to give enough info to diagnose the problem.
sorin_ristache

Re: Problem connecting to proxy in Oxygen 9.1

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

The string displayed in the label Proxy web server is the value of the realm returned by the proxy server in the reply that it sends to the request received from oXygen.

The system settings are under your control. You can find them in Internet Explorer from menu Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings -> Proxy server. Did you enter the same address and port in oXygen preferences (the panel HTTP/FTP/Proxy Configuration of the Options -> Preferences dialog) as in Internet Explorer preferences and you can connect to the URL of the schema used for validation in Internet Explorer but you cannot connect to the same URL in oXygen? Did you set the correct user and password for the proxy server in the panel HTTP/FTP/Proxy Configuration?

Regards,
Sorin
catafalque

Post by catafalque »

Apologies for the delay in replying.

I've just had a play with the settings and it turns out that if I choose "direct connection" I have no problems. I'm not sure why this is, we do use a proxy server at our organisation, and the "use system settings" option was trying to make use of it, so in theory it shouldn't work at all!

But anyway, thanks for the initial reply and apologies for wasting your time -- I didn't think the direct connection option would work at all so didn't try it until just now.
daniel.pool

Post by daniel.pool »

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but catafalque describes completely the problem I am having with Oxygen 12 (trial version).

I am behind a corporate proxy (ISA server) and tried using all three options available in the proxy dialog. With direct connection I'm told that the external schema is unavailable, and any other option prompts me for the authentication credentials. I have made sure that the same credentials have been entered for both, however Oxygen seems to be sending the wrong information as the user account ends up locked (the same password which works in IE will not work when pasted into oxygen).

I've worked around the issue for the moment by saving the external schema locally, but this is a bit of a downer on my trial.

Being a corporate network my options for investigation are limited, but any suggestions would be helpful.

Regards,
~Daniel
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi Daniel,

Unfortunately neither Oxygen, nor other applications can access the proxy authentication that IE stores. It seems the authentication information belongs to IE and it's not shared with other applications. Though I'm guessing Microsoft applications might have a way of accessing it(probably by using IE itself).

Have you tried the same thing in another application(e.g. Mozilla Firefox)?

I've tested this with Firefox and just like Oxygen it also prompts for the proxy authentication. But in both cases it worked for me. The same authentication info worked in IE, Firefox and Oxygen without any issues.

I'm mentioning this because it's the simplest way of determining if it's a general authentication issue or an Oxygen specific one.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
daniel.pool

Post by daniel.pool »

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your response; I also use these same settings in Firefox (as my browser of choice) which work fine.

All other programs with the "use system settings" seem to operate correctly, it's just Oxygen which seems to be a problem whether I manually type the credentials or use the system settings I'm prompted for the authentication details.

Regards,
~Daniel
adrian

Post by adrian »

If you want to get to the bottom of this then please send an email with a short description of the problem to our support email address: support@oxygenxml.com
In reply we will provide you with a file that enables Oxygen logging.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com