Netbeans Support

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
ByteMe

Netbeans Support

Post by ByteMe »

Would it be possible to support NetBeans 5.x? Eclipse doesn't have the web service support Netbeans has and won't be supporting J2EE 5 any time soon. The IDE just needs more XML support, like XInclude for instance. Would it be possible to just use the plugin API used for the Eclipse Plugin to write one for NetBeans? If so, starting point would be helpful.

Thanks,

Iran.
Last edited by ByteMe on Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi Iran,

No, Eclipse and NetBeans have completely different APIs so makeing a plugin for NetBeans means starting from zero (probably it is better to start from the standalone version as that is Swing based, similar with NetBeans I suppose, while Eclipse is SWT based.
We studied this possibility some time ago but we did not find much interest for an oXygen NetBeans plugin.

Best Regards,
George
ByteMe

Post by ByteMe »

Thanks for the reply George. I'll be one vote for broader plugin support of your good product. BTW, for integration I was thinking along the lines of :

http://www.devx.com/opensource/Article/21904
http://www.devx.com/opensource/Article/26612/0/page/3

--Iran.
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi Iran,

These are trivial examples, similar with a "Hello world" application. oXygen is a complex and real application and making a plugin for NetBeans requires a lot of effort and investment. And this is not only in the initial development but you have to add this to any new functionality or refactory that is made. Also, I assume that like Eclipse, NetBeans has its own bugs one have to workaround or fight with.

Best Regards,
George
ByteMe

Post by ByteMe »

Oh yes, I agree. I can appreciate the complexities of integration and ongoing investement in the application life cycle. I did the research and was just contemplating ways to integrate all my tools into one ( everyone wants that ) before deciding on a plan of action. I have previously written plugins for both Eclipse and NetBeans and wanted to pick someone's brain as to the possibility of integration before spending the time on learning another API. That's why the post said "along the lines of" not specifically that implementation. I use a pretty complex UML 2 based modelling tool that has support for both Netbeans and Eclipse, that's where the ideas came from. Not to belabor the point, just to explain the thought process, myself and my colleagues have. Thank you for your replies, I guess we'll have to focus on other potential solutions.

-Iran.