Advanced Saxon HE/PE/EE XQuery Transformation Options
The XQuery transformation scenario allows you to configure advanced options that are specific
for the Saxon HE (Home Edition), PE (Professional Edition), and EE (Enterprise Edition)
engines. They are the same
options as the values set in the user
preferences but they are configured as a specific set of transformation options for
each transformation scenario.
The advanced options for Saxon 188.8.131.52 Home Edition (HE),
Professional Edition (PE), and Enterprise Edition (EE) are as follows:
- Recoverable errors ("-warnings")-
Allows you to choose how dynamic errors are handled. The following options can be
- recover silently ("silent") - Continues processing without
reporting the error.
- recover with warnings ("recover") - Issues a warning but
- signal the error and do not attempt recovery ("fatal") - Issues
an error and stops processing.
- Strip whitespaces ("-strip") - Can
have one of the following values:
- All ("all") - Strips all whitespace text nodes from
source documents before any further processing, regardless of any
xml:space attributes in the source document.
- Ignore ("ignorable") - Strips all ignorable whitespace
text nodes from source documents before any further processing, regardless of any
xml:space attributes in the source document. Whitespace text nodes
are ignorable if they appear in elements defined in the DTD or schema as having
- None ("none") - Strips no whitespace before further
- Optimization level ("-opt") - This option allows optimization to be
suppressed when reducing the compiling time is important, optimization conflicts with
debugging, or optimization causes extension functions with side-effects to behave
- Use linked tree model ("-tree:linked") - This
option activates the linked tree model.
- Enable XQuery 3.0 support ("-qversion:(1.0|3.0)")
- If checked, Saxon runs the XQuery transformation with the XQuery 3.0 support (this option
is enabled by default).
- Initializer class - Equivalent to the
-init Saxon command-line argument. The value is the name of a user-supplied
class that implements the net.sf.saxon.lib.Initializer interface. This
initializer is called during the initialization process, and may be used to set any options
required on the configuration programmatically. It is particularly useful for tasks such as
registering extension functions, collations, or external object models, especially in
Saxon-HE where the option cannot be set via a configuration file. Saxon only calls the
initializer when running from the command line, but the same code may be invoked to perform
initialization when running user application code.
The following advanced options are specific for Saxon 184.108.40.206
Professional Edition (PE) and Enterprise Edition (EE) only:
- Use a configuration file ("-config") -
Sets a Saxon 9 configuration file that is used for XQuery transformation and validation
- Allow calls on extension functions ("-ext")
- If checked, calls on external functions are allowed. Checking this option is recommended
in an environment where untrusted stylesheets may be executed. It also disables user-defined
extension elements and the writing of multiple output files, both of which carry similar
The advanced options that are specific for Saxon 220.127.116.11 Enterprise
Edition (EE) are as follows:
- Validation of the source file ("-val")
- Requests schema-based validation of the source file and of any files read using the
document() or similar functions. It can have the following values:
- Schema validation ("strict") - This mode requires an XML Schema
and enables parsing the source documents with strict schema-validation enabled.
- Lax schema validation ("lax") - If an XML Schema is provided,
this mode enables parsing the source documents with schema-validation enabled but the
validation will not fail if, for example, element declarations are not found.
- Disable schema validation - This specifies that the source
documents should be parsed with schema-validation disabled.
- Validation errors in the results tree treated as
warnings ("-outval") - Normally, if validation of result documents is
requested, a validation error is fatal. Enabling this option causes such validation failures
to be treated as warnings.
Generate bytecode ("--generateByteCode:(on|off)") - If you enable
this option, Saxon-EE attempts to generate Java bytecode for evaluation
of parts of a query or stylesheet that are amenable to such an action. For further details
regarding this option, go to http://www.saxonica.com/documentation9.5/index.html#!javadoc.
- Enable XQuery update ("-update:(on|off)")
- This option controls whether or not XQuery update syntax is accepted. The default value is
- Backup files updated by XQuery
("-backup:(on|off)") - If checked, backup versions for any XML files updated
with XQuery Update are generated. This option is available when the Enable XQuery
update option is enabled.