Custom Protocol Plugin Extension
This type of plugin allows the developer to work with a custom designed protocol for
retrieving and storing files.
It provides the following API:
- The interface URLStreamHandlerPluginExtension - There is one method
that must be implemented:
- getURLStreamHandler(String protocol) - It takes as an argument the
name of the protocol and returns a URLStreamHandler object, or null if
there is no URL handler for the specified protocol.
This type of plugin extension can be usually combined with a Workspace Access Plugin Extension which can add a custom toolbar with custom actions for
opening documents from a certain source.
As an alternative, two older plugin extensions can also be used to add a toolbar action for
showing a custom URL chooser:
- With the help of the URLChooserPluginExtension2 interface, it is
possible to create your own dialog box that works with the custom protocol. This interface
provides two methods:
- chooseURLs(StandalonePluginWorkspace workspaceAccess) - Returns a
URL object that contains the URLs the user decided to open with the
custom protocol. You can invoke your own URL chooser dialog box here and then return the
chosen URLs having your own custom protocol. You have access to the workspace of Oxygen XML Developer.
- getMenuName() - Returns a String object that is
the name of the entry added in the menu.
- With the help of the URLChooserToolbarExtension interface, it is
possible to provide a toolbar entry which is used for launching the custom URLs chooser from
the URLChooserPluginExtension implementation. This interface provides two
- getToolbarIcon() - Returns the javax.swing.Icon
image used on the toolbar.
- getToolbarTooltip() - Returns a String that is the
tooltip used on the toolbar button.