[xsl] Using 'collection'

Subject: [xsl] Using 'collection'
From: "Mark Wilson pubs@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 08:58:04 -0000

Clearly I do not know what I am doing or am misunderstanding what Michael's XSLT 2.0 book is saying. can anyone help?

I have to extract information from a collection of 8000 individual xml files. It has been a couple of years since I have used xslt, so while not a novice, I am very rusty. Where 'docs' is a sub-directory of the directory 'British Library' where my xslt is located and contains a set of files of the format *.xml, I wrote this xslt 2.0 stylesheet:

  <xsl:template match="/">
      <xsl:variable name="library" select="collection('docs/*.xml')"/>

</xsl:template>

and got the error in Oxygen:
System ID: P:\British Library\read.xsl
Severity: fatal