Re: [xsl] Reasons for using XSLT to validate XML instances?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Reasons for using XSLT to validate XML instances?
From: " Вячеслав Седов schematronic@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 18:13:57 -0000

+ you can use same xslt to check input data for client-side and
server-side, maybe in some cases it even more simple - convert xsd (by
xslt - not "hands") to schematron rules (almost same as xslt) for
interoperability

<xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Using XML Schema (which you can use inside a transformation with Saxon
> 2+) will tell you if your document is truly valid according to the XML
> Schema :)
>
> Using XSL to validate means you will need to determine the rules which
> may or may not indicate an instance document is valid according the
> XML Schema.
>
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Costello, Roger L. costello@xxxxxxxxx
> <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Thank you Graydon and Wolfgang. Good inputs.
>>
>> For validation problems, is XPath 2.0 as powerful as XSLT 2.0?
>>
>> My hunch is no, but I can't think of an example of a validation problem
that can be done in XSLT 2.0 and cannot be done in XPath 2.0. Can you think of
an example? If one could come up with an example, it would show that some
validation problems cannot be solved by Schematron and must be solved by
XSLT.