[xsl] FO: Alphabetical index layout problem with justified last line

Subject: [xsl] FO: Alphabetical index layout problem with justified last line
From: "Michael Müller-Hillebrand mmh@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 14:32:14 -0000

Hello experts,

We are challenged with a layout for an alphabetical index that uses leader
dots and forces page numbers to the right border of the current column, like
this:

| keyword .......... 23 |

If the keyword gets longer and suffers a line break, everything is fine:

| a special, longer     |
| keyword .......... 23 |

But, if we have many page references, so that both keyword and all page
numbers do not fit a single line, it gets ugly, e.g. like this:

| other keyword .... 5, |
| 11,      25,       42 |

If we were using non-breaking spaces between entries, we may get this:

| other keyword         |
| 5,   11,    25,    42 |

What we (think we) want is nicely right-aligned numbers (and if possible a
continuation of the leader line):

| other keyword ....    |
| ....... 5, 11, 25, 42 |

This is the FO we are working with at the moment (some attributes removed and
pretty printing added):

<fo:block text-align-last="justify" end-indent="6mm"
last-line-end-indent="-6mm">other keyword
  <fo:leader/>
  <fo:basic-link internal-destination="d85e73"><fo:page-number-citation
ref-id="d85e73"/></fo:basic-link>,
  <fo:basic-link internal-destination="d85e160"><fo:page-number-citation
ref-id="d85e160"/></fo:basic-link>,
  <fo:basic-link internal-destination="d85e354"><fo:page-number-citation
ref-id="d85e354"/></fo:basic-link>,
  <fo:basic-link internal-destination="d85e543"><fo:page-number-citation
ref-id="d85e543"/></fo:basic-link>
</fo:block>

As always, I am grateful for any suggestions or pointers. Like, should we work
with <fo:index-page-citation-list> instead, to solve this problem?

Thanks,

- Michael MC<ller-Hillebrand