Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.0 Namespace Help

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.0 Namespace Help
From: "Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 19:32:41 -0000

Hi Bridger,

I missed that you were limited to XSLT 1.0. How sad for you!

Yes, when using XSLT 1.0, one is limited to option D, or the (usually
preferred) D1 option of declaring all the namespaces you will need at
the top of the stylesheet.

Since it is probably the least obvious of the four options I
suggested, you can see part of why namespaces are so widely hated by
those who have tried to teach themselves XSLT 1.0 without prior XML
experience. (This red herring haunts XSLT's reputation to this day, if
you will forgive the idea of being haunted by a fish.)

In XSLT 1.0, you can save yourself trouble by following the rule that
if names are in a namespace, you assign a prefix for addressing it --
don't use unprefixed names in XPath 1.0 to address names in a
namespace. This is because the only way of binding such names in XSLT
1.0 is with xmlns="..." -- the default namespace -- and guess what,
voila, you have just declared that all unprefixed names in your XSLT
where this declaration is in scope (not just in your XPath) are in
this namespace! Which is often not what's wanted.

So declaring prefixes for any elements we're going to need to address
by name becomes part of XSLT 1.0 housekeeping.

In XSLT 2.0 since we have xpath-default-namespace, things don't have
to be so rigid.

Cheers,
Wendell