Re: [xsl] Will XSLT 3.0 be synchronized with XPath 3.1?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Will XSLT 3.0 be synchronized with XPath 3.1?
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 21:06:06 -0000

> Doesn't this allow for misalignment between the two Specs that could
> lead to having two different versions and implementations of Maps?
> Will we need to be aware of "XSLT maps" vs. "XPath maps" and study
> these separately?

We're working hard to ensure that it's one specification, present in both
publications. As issues are resolved (e.g a recent one concerning the role of
the implicit timezone in matching keys in maps), the resolution is applied to
both specs.

> Will anything make it obligatory for an implementor of XSLT 3.0 to
> replace the XSLT maps with XPath maps at a future date, when XPath 3.1
> becomes a recommendation?

Unless we screw up completely, replacing XSLT maps with XPath maps is a
no-op.

> Here is what I believe would be a good solution:
>
> I. In case XPath 3.1 becomes Recommendation before XSLT 3.0, then XSLT
> 3.0 will remove the chapter on Maps and refer to XPath 3.1

I'm sure that's what we would do.

> 2. In case XPath 3.1 becomes Recommendation after XSLT 3.0, then  a
> 3.1 version of XSLT will be published (or just a note maybe), that
> will invalidate/remove the Maps chapter from the specification.

Hopefully this won't be necessary, but we can cross that bridge when we come
to it. As I said, the strategy is to keep our options open.

Michael Kay
Saxonica