Re: [xsl] Argument on XML

Subject: Re: [xsl] Argument on XML
From: "L2L 2L emanuelallen@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 00:35:33 -0000

Thank you wizards of xsl mailing list.

E-S4L
N-S4L

> On Aug 18, 2014, at 6:30 PM, "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx"
>
> This is off topic for the XSL List.
>
> And the answer is that the person who wrote this has obviously never heard
of XML databases. In fact he knows very little about databases at all if he
thinks the only real database is a SQL database.

> Michael Kay
> Saxonica
> mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> +44 (0) 118 946 5893
>

>> On 18 Aug 2014, at 19:58, L2L 2L emanuelallen@xxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> So I'm on a forum being school by some wizard. I don't know how to respond
to this:

>> XQuery to my knowledge exceed SQL very!
>> That statement is meaningless considering the fact that you don't
understand what SQL is, let alone what it can do.

>> Here's a question to ask yourself: if you think XQuery and XML are so much
better than relational databases and SQL, then can you point to a single major
website which uses XQuery/XML instead of a real database and SQL? I'll save
you some research time - you can't. Consider a site that has 1 million users
in its database. Assume that this site sees only 10 requests per second, so
the traffic is not very high. Assume that each user record in the database
averages 1KB of data. Since the entire XML structure needs to be read into
memory in order to be used (unlike a real database), for that small traffic
load of people just logging in, the server would need to use (1,000,000 * 1024
* 10) = 10,240,000,000 bytes ~ 10GB of memory just to handle 10 people trying
to log in at the same time. Our dedicated servers each have 24GB of RAM, and
it is not all dedicated to the database. That means that, with XML, our
servers would only be able to handle 24 people using the system at the same
time, assuming that every last byte of RAM was going to the database. Think
about how many people use Facebook at the same time. Does it make any sense to
use a data store technology that requires the entire database in memory every
time any person accesses the system? When someone logs in to Facebook to get
their list of messages, it would need to load the entire list of messages that
every person has ever sent just to get that one person's messages? Does that
really sound like a good plan to you? You have no idea about all of the
optimizations that relational databases employ to make data storage and access
as fast as possible, technologies that have been used for over 40 years, so
what exactly qualifies you to make the judgement that XQuery and XML are so
much better?