Re: [xsl] Getting epub: namespace into root html element

Subject: Re: [xsl] Getting epub: namespace into root html element
From: "Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 13:41:15 -0000

Dear Peter,

Whether a DOCTYPE declaration is required on an HTML5 document isn't
really arguable: it's up to the specification, which says that (yes)
it's optional when using the XHTML5 syntax, but not when using the
HTML5 syntax. (I am referring to
http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-author/#doctype-declaration, which I am
taking to be normative for these purposes.)

(Whether any particular HTML5 processor will behave correctly when the
DOCTYPE declaration is missing is a different question, and, I
suppose, subject to an argument about what "correctly" means in a
given case. But that's not about HTML5; it's about the processor.)

But you're asking about namespaces -- which are confusing as long as
you mix up syntax with data model in your head. (Sort them out and
things become easier.) One consequence of the insight that they are
not the same is that you will no longer expect that the syntax you use
in your XSLT is necessarily the same syntax that you will see in your
result.

Particularly, when it comes to namespaces, all you need to do is to
ensure that the namespaces you want are on the elements where you want
them (whether those elements are copied or created anew by your XSLT),
and then let your serializer take care of the syntax. Since the epub
namespace isn't anywhere in your source data, it is not copied through
when you copy through all the other nodes in your source. (It is
added, however, when you generate your attributes with names in that
namespace. So declarations for it appear on elements with those
attributes.) The solution is to add it everywhere.

You can add it everywhere by modifying your identity template like this:

<xsl:template match="@*|node()">
  <xsl:copy>
    <xsl:namespace name="epub">http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops</xsl:namespace>
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

(Note: untested. In particular I haven't checked what will happen to
comments and processing instructions are matched with this template --
instead, trusting the language designers to have specified the right
thing, i.e. that the xsl:namespace instruction is then ignored.)

The namespace will then be bound to every node in your result.
Consequently you will see it declared on the document element in your
output -- and probably nowhere else. (I say 'probably' because that is
the way a well-designed serializer will do it, other things being
equal.)

I hope this helps --

Cheers, Wendell

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 4:30 AM, Peter West lists@xxxxxxxxx
> I'm trying to convert EPUB2 files to EPUB3.  In the course of that, I need
to include some epub:type attributes. I also want to include a <!DOCTYPE html>
declaration, although I have seen it argued that the declaration is not
necessary.

> I have managed to get the DOCTYPE declaration to work by a method that has
been described before in a number of places, and I have the epub:type
attributes appearing on the relevant elements.  However, the epub namespace is
declared on every element, and I haven't been able to get it into the root
element.  How can I do this?

> My stylesheet starts like this:

>     xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
>     xmlns:xh="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
>     xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops"
>     exclude-result-prefixes="xs xh"
>     version="2.0">
>
>     <xsl:strip-space elements="*"/>
>     <xsl:output method="xhtml" />
>     <xsl:template match="/">
>         <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">&lt;!DOCTYPE
html></xsl:text>
>         <xsl:apply-templates/>
>     </xsl:template>
>
>     <xsl:template match="@*|node()">
>         <xsl:copy>
>             <xsl:apply-templates select="@*|node()"/>
>         </xsl:copy>
>     </xsl:template>
>

> Peter West
>
> "...he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will
raise him up at the last day."

XML | XSLT | electronic publishing
Eat Your Vegetables