Re: [xsl] XSLT Hello World - outreach

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT Hello World - outreach
From: Paul Tyson <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 14:09:56 -0500

On Thu, 2014-03-27 at 22:27 +0100, David Rudel wrote:
<snip>
> The scope of things you can do
> with XSLT without a lot of grief is certainly larger than, say, with
> SQL.

This is the most important point that people miss about XSLT.

In my role as a short-order IT cook, I select the simplest tool for the
task at hand, starting with emacs (for single-shot data manipulation)
and moving up to bash, sed, awk, and xslt. A common solution will get
data via sql or sparql, go to xml either with xslt's unparsed-text() and
tokenize() functions or awk, and further processing with xslt. If I've
exhausted the simplicity stack and must look at perl or java I usually
find I've misunderstood the problem or taken the wrong design.

In my role as webapp developer, nothing but xml+xslt will do.

Regards,
--Paul