Re: [xsl] XSLT Hello World

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT Hello World
From: David Rudel <fwqhgads@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 01:29:40 +0100

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:47 AM, Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> seminar. I am definitely making that choice over the superior product
> that demands otherwise and trips me up 99% of the time I try what
> looks like an obvious option.

I dispute the underlying assumption that one can meaningfully talk
about what constitutes an "obvious option."

What constitutes an "obvious option" depends on what your background
is. Most of Java or C++ doesn't look obvious at all to someone who has
never worked with OO. Before Java makes much sense, you have to
understand OO. Before XSLT or Xpath is going to make much sense, you
have to understand the structure of XML/DOM and think in terms of
trees, etc.

And I would claim that once someone is thinking in terms of trees and
nodes, then the "obvious" things to try work just fine in XSLT/Xpath.

-David

--

"A false conclusion, once arrived at and widely accepted is not
dislodged easily, and the less it is understood, the more tenaciously