Re: [xsl] When to use text()

Subject: Re: [xsl] When to use text()
From: Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 11:45:54 +0000

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If there's a lesson from this thread, it's that Ihe and many others don't
want complete explanations. They haven't got time for them. They want
something short and simple that is true most of the time. They don't mind the
fact that as a result, their programs will sometimes be wrong.

Consider  the  relational database world with the kerfuffle over
nulls. I'm not saying it's my attitude to 3 valued logic but given
that someone as eminent as Date has publicly said not to use the
things does one need to have a complete explanation to make a decision
one way or t'other.
One could get to the sentence that says leads to unintuitive/surprisng
results(I'm paraphrasing)  and either decide to proceed caveat emptor
or
ignore the things altogether.

So perhaps the database world offers a parallel lesson.

Do database gurus go around saying the behaviour of nulls is perfectly
comprehensible and/or challenging people to read the SQL spec and/or
justify why they are not?