Re: [xsl] When to use text()

Subject: Re: [xsl] When to use text()
From: Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 18:37:19 +0000

Wendell and Mike Kay and now Martin Holmes

The word blame appeared my original response because Wendell said that
"text() is over-used and commonly misused".

I said "I wouldn't be blaming the programmers for that."

That meant and means that users of the language are not to blame for
such common misuse. It does not mean that the language
designers/implementers or anyone else is to blame.

If someone says or hints in such a circumstance that you should read
the specification that does suggest blame for the person who did not
do so and I have already elaborated on reasons why that IMHO is not
justified in this instance.

A recent experience of mine  parallelizes this somewhat although it
may be a stretch for some.

My housemate and I have a policy of doing whatever is in the laundry
basket irrespective of whose clothes they are. Recently I returned
from the gym threw my clothes in the basket, showered and rushed out
for an appointment. While I was in the shower my housemate did the
laundry and on my way out I kept hearing a knocking sound from the
machine. When  I returned I discovered that the knocking sound was my
cellphone.

My housemate had intuited that the presence of my kit in the laundry
basket meant it was ok to go straight into the wash.

The equivalent of RTFM was to expect him to have checked my sweaty
pockets first.

How many of you would have done that?

PS That situation like this was possible to resolve without apportioning blame.