[xsl] Need Math Help: How to Convert Proportional Column Widths to Real Values?

Subject: [xsl] Need Math Help: How to Convert Proportional Column Widths to Real Values?
From: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 17:51:10 -0600

Maybe it's being end of a day on a Friday but my already limited math
skills are failing me.

I'm converting CALS tables into InDesign tables where I need to specify
actual measurements. I know the width available to all the proportional
columns and I know the CALS proportional values, e.g. "1*", "1.38*", etc.

My puzzle is, how do I go from 1.38 to the correct fraction of the
available width?

For example, say that I have two proportional columns of width "1*" and
"1.39*" and the available width is 240pt.

How do I determine fraction of 240 each of these proportions get?

Thanks,

Eliot
bbbbb
Eliot Kimber, Owner