Re: [xsl] except (was: Keys with duplicates should be simple)

Subject: Re: [xsl] except (was: Keys with duplicates should be simple)
From: Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 16:48:51 +0000

Mike I know and undertsand. It's the I'm all right Jack because I use
it every day sod the rest of the world attitude of the post that I was
responding to.I know it's not an attitude shared or reflective  of the
working group.

I'm in the fortunate position of being able to choose the development
tools for my work and I chose to use and recommend  XSLT and XQuery
(except except). That says enough about what I think of the languages.
You asked what was confusing and I answered. No one expects
perfection.

I am grateful for the work that went into these languages and the
abominations their existence has delivered us from.

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3 Feb 2014, at 15:23, Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> No thought then for the occasional user of the language who doesn't
>> use it often enough such that he has barely  acclimated to the basics
>> much less the quirks.
>
> You can tell us we got it wrong, but you can't tell us we didn't think about
it. Why do you imagine the process takes so long? An agonizing amount of
debate goes into some of the most "trivial" issues like the naming of
functions and operators. That's of course because there are many points of
view and therefore, by definition, there is no answer that will be right for
everyone. I'm sorry that on this occasion you were one of the people that the
decision wasn't right for.