Re: [xsl] Using Saxon 2.0 with FOP, XEP, Antenna House

Subject: Re: [xsl] Using Saxon 2.0 with FOP, XEP, Antenna House
From: Jesper Tverskov <jesper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 11:34:30 +0200

Hi Michael

When I do a Saxon transformation to XSLFO at the command line, my file takes:

a) Stopwatch time:  7.5s.

The "-t" tells me that:

b) Stylesheet compilation time: 2398ms
c) Building tree input file: 86ms
d) Execution time: 531ms.

Does it mean that:

e) start-up time  =  a - (b+c+d)

Am I right that when doing 1000 transformations with the .NET or Java
Interface, I only have 1 start-up time and 1 compilation time? And
1000 times c + d?

Also I have tested the loading of a directory and output to directory
feature at the command line in Saxon. It works well, but I don't
think, I can get a FO-processor to take over such an output directory
as input to the FO transformation from within the bat file.

Regards
Jesper Tverskov
http://www.xmlplease.com

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 17 Oct 2013, at 12:53, Jesper Tverskov wrote:
>
>> Thanks for helping me understand how speed is determined in the full
>> process from XML to XSLFO to PDF.
>>
>> In the case of the fast speed of Antenna House at the command line, I
>> must conclude that it is MSXML that does the difference.
>>
>> The .Net version of Saxon 9 takes 4s to transform to xslfo
>> at the command line (in my case the xslfo is very small, later to be
>> transformed to a pdf of a couple of pages).
>>
>> The msxsl.exe version of MSXML takes 0.4s to transform to xslfo at the
>> command line. Much, much, much faster!
>>

> If you want to know how much of the time is start-up time and how much is
actually spent doing the transformation, then run Saxon from the command line
with -repeat:50 and -t, to get an average time. This will give you an
indication of how long the task would take if you were able to run it in a VM
that was already "warmed up".

> On the other hand, if you don't have any other way to do the integration
other than using the command line, then this information is (sadly) of little
use to you!

> But if you're creating a batch of 800 of these small xsl-fo files that need
transforming, then it might be a lot better to write them to disk, and then
transform the whole lot in a single Saxon run (e.g. by using the capability on
the Saxon command line to transform a whole directory at once.)