Re: [xsl] XSL-FO to PDF conversion speed

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL-FO to PDF conversion speed
From: "Tony Graham" <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 09:34:38 +0100 (IST)

On Mon, September 30, 2013 9:12 am, Jesper Tverskov wrote:
> Even split seconds gained ad up, but could there be other speed
> benefits from using an XSLT 2.0 Saxon processor compared to good old
> XALAN when we are talking about a batch job?

With an XSLT 2.0 processor such as Saxon, you may be able to modify your
stylesheet to use collection() [1] and, with Saxon, Saxon's extensions [2]
to read and process all the files in one go rather than firing up the JVM
for each.

Even using Ant may be quicker than, e.g., a batch file since by default
Ant will reuse the same 'stylesheet transformer' for every 'transform
operation'.

Regards,

Tony Graham                                   tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx
Consultant                                 http://www.mentea.net
Mentea       13 Kelly's Bay Beach, Skerries, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming
       Chair, Print and Page Layout Community Group @ W3C

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/#func-collection
[2] http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#!sourcedocs/collections