[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date]

Re: [xsl] Data-driven XSLT code using dynamic mode values?


Subject: Re: [xsl] Data-driven XSLT code using dynamic mode values?
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 08:40:43 -0700

Seems like you want to use FXSL (for either XSLT 1.0 or 2.0) and HOFs
for XSLT 3.0.

As for "data-driven", maybe the "fill-in-the-blanks" (forms with
variables replacement) technique would be useful.

Cheers,
Dimitre

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 7:26 AM, Costello, Roger L. <costello@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I want to have multiple templates for the same element, each template processes the element differently.
>
> "Use modes," you say.
>
> Okay, sounds good. So I will have multiple template rules:
>
>     <xsl:template match="Header" mode="Remove">
>
>     <xsl:template match="Header" mode="Replace">
>
>     <xsl:template match="Header" mode="Reject">
>
> Now let's turn to the problem of firing the appropriate template rule.
>
> I have a variable which has a value that indicates whether I should do a Remove, Replace, or Reject:
>
>     <xsl:variable name="action" select="get the action from an XML file" />
>
> I want to fire a template rule based on the value of $action.
>
> Here's what I really, really want to do:
>
>     <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="$action" />
>
> That would be so cool. That would truly be "data-driven code."
>
> Unfortunately, using a variable as the value of @mode is not allowed.
>
> Bummer.
>
> Is my only solution to use xsl:choose:
>
>           <xsl:choose>
>               <xsl:when test="$action eq 'Remove'">
>                   <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="Remove" />
>               </xsl:when>
>               <xsl:when test="$action eq 'Replace'">
>                   <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="Replace" />
>               </xsl:when>
>               <xsl:when test="$action eq 'Reject'">
>                   <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="Reject" />
>               </xsl:when>
>           </xsl:choose>
>
> That is an awful solution. It is brittle and not extensible code.
>
> Please, please show me a better way than using xsl:choose.
>
> /Roger
>



-- 
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev
---------------------------------------
Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
---------------------------------------
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk
-------------------------------------
Never fight an inanimate object
-------------------------------------
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the
biggest mistake of all
------------------------------------
Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.
-------------------------------------
You've achieved success in your field when you don't know whether what
you're doing is work or play
-------------------------------------
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
-------------------------------------
Typing monkeys will write all Shakespeare's works in 200yrs.Will they
write all patents, too? :)
-------------------------------------
I finally figured out the only reason to be alive is to enjoy it.


Current Thread
Keywords