Re: [xsl] Are there any free, fully-compliant XSLT/XPath 3.0 processors?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Are there any free, fully-compliant XSLT/XPath 3.0 processors?
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 13:03:08 +0000

On 27/01/2013 08:23, davep wrote:

IMHO 3.0 has rolled 180 degrees from the one man xslt 1.0 effort and is now the
proverbial horse designed by committee.

I think there are two questions here: is it maintaining design integrity, and are the new features in touch with real user requirements?

On design integrity, I think we're doing a reasonably good job. There are constraints imposed by the XML/XPath syntax split, and of course by backwards compatibility, but I don't think we're producing something that looks as if different parts were designed by different people. As for requirements, I would fully accept that we're perhaps over-influenced by the requirements of the top end of the market; in the battle between rich functionality and simplicity, rich functionality always seems to win. As Liam has been arguing, there are probably more people who would like to see XPath smaller rather than bigger, but the people who want it bigger tend to shout louder, and to win the day.

If you have specific criticisms of the XSLT 3.0 effort, I'd love to hear them.

Michael Kay
Saxonica