[xsl] Can unparsed-text() consume an in-memory XML document? Can a string version of an XML document be converted into XML?

Subject: [xsl] Can unparsed-text() consume an in-memory XML document? Can a string version of an XML document be converted into XML?
From: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 20:15:53 +0000

Hi Folks,

I have an XSLT program that uses unparsed-text() to read in an XML document
from a URL, the program then does some string manipulations on the string
version of the XML document, and then outputs the result.

Question about the input to unparsed-text():

      Instead of it consuming the XML document from a URL,
      can it consume an in-memory XML document
      (i.e., one that has already been parsed; say, a variable
      whose value is an XML document)?

Question about reconstituting an XML document from the string version of the
XML document:

       I can output the string version of the
      XML document to a file and then read
      the file back in as an XML document. But I'd like
      to skip that intermediate step and go straight
      from the string version of the XML document
      to a full-fledged XML document. Is
      there a way in XSLT to convert a string
      to XML?

/Roger