Re: [xsl] Can a single XPath statement duplicate the functionality of this verbose statement?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Can a single XPath statement duplicate the functionality of this verbose <xsl:choose> statement?
From: Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 11:55:32 +0100

On 24 October 2011 11:31, Mark <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
> Thanks for this additional information. I am still trying to learn to view
> problems from a non-C++ perspective. Makes my head hurt :-)

No worries... the whole template matching process takes a while to
get, it did for me anyway.

A general guide is:

- don't use xsl:for-each, use xsl:apply-templates

- don't use named templates, use xsl:apply-templates with a mode

- if a template just contains a choose/when, separate out the branches
into individual templates

- instead of xsl:value-of use xsl:apply-templates

- one large template is bad, lots of specific small templates is good.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com