Re: [xsl] Displaying Icon in Page Margin

Subject: Re: [xsl] Displaying Icon in Page Margin
From: Brian Popp <bpopp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:30:52 -0500

> I wasn't asking your authors to add the ghost column.  I was suggesting that
> as you process your author's tables, *you* insert the ghost column on every
> row.  That way it is predictable and maintainable.

True. It still seems kinda messy, though, because I'd have to
preprocess each file through that XSL script (to add the column)
before it goes through the normal XSL translation to FO. That's not
unmanageable and I'm happy to have something to fall back on, but it
just seems like there has to be a better way.

Another issue I found with using the negative margins is that I end up
having to write very complicated rules that mirror the  styling
attributes of the affected elements. For example, to draw the icon
aligned to the left of a nested list, I have to know what level I'm at
and what the indent is for each level. Again, not undoable, but it's
overly complex and would be difficult to maintain.

This is a very clever solution, though, and I do very much appreciate
the responses. I'm very impressed with this list and have learned a
lot  in the short time I've been reading it.

-bpopp