Re: [xsl] Sorting seems not to work completely

Subject: Re: [xsl] Sorting seems not to work completely
From: Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 20:24:25 +0100

On 27 July 2011 19:59, Mark <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Michael,
> I'm not sure I understood the '+' in  <xsl:for-each
> select+"current-group()">

typo... :)

> I tried the below template. [1] gives me the <Stamp> elements grouped under
> <Date> but not sorted by value. [2] gives me the <Stamp> elements sorted by
> value but not grouped under <Date>. Clearly I am missing something as I am
> quite week in XPath. Where am I going wrong.

The code below does what you need.  Directly within the for-each-each
group the context is the sequence of <Stamp> elements all with the
same year/month/day.  The sort there sorts on that value.  Then the
for-each inside there processes that seqeunce (that all have the same
year/month/day one at a time, sorted by the value.  I've used a
different wrapper element for each group to help show what is going
on.

<xsl:template match="List">
  <xsl:element name="List">
    <xsl:for-each-group select="Item/Stamp"
group-by="Date/concat(@year, @month, @day)">
      <xsl:sort select="current-grouping-key()" data-type="number"/>
        <xsl:element name="Group{position()}">
          <xsl:for-each select="current-group()">
            <xsl:sort select="@value" order="descending"
data-type="number"></xsl:sort>
            <xsl:copy-of select="." copy-namespaces="no"/>
         </xsl:for-each>
      </xsl:element>
    </xsl:for-each-group>
  </xsl:element>