[xsl] Understanding when to use apply-templates with no selector

Subject: [xsl] Understanding when to use apply-templates with no selector
From: Karl Stubsjoen <kstubs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 15:25:38 -0700

I see this a lot:

<xsl:apply-templates />

I have even used it but to be honest, I'm not sure I undertand it
completely.  Given the following xml:

<a>
 <b>
 <c>
 <d>
</a>

If the current context is <a> and you call <xsl:apply-templates />,
the following template matches will hit:
match="a"
match="b"
match="*"  <!-- which picks up on a match of C and D -->

What else gets matched?  If <a> looks like this <a att1="123"
att2="456">, we better have attribute matches too?  What about
comments and processing instructions?  So if you have.
<a>
 <!-- this is a comment --!>
  <?this is a processing instruction?>
  <b>
</a>

Is there a best practice here to mention?

Thanks, just thinking out loud on this.
Karl..

--
Karl Stubsjoen