Re: [xsl] Text based stage play scripts to XML

Subject: Re: [xsl] Text based stage play scripts to XML
From: Jacobus Reyneke <jacobusreyneke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:25:37 +0200

> something like
>
> <xsl:analyze-string select="$something" regex="(e f *)(g h)">
>  <xsl-matching-substring>
>   <xsl:value-of select="regex-group(1)"/>
>   <found-you>
>   <xsl:value-of select="regex-group(2)"/>
>    </found-you>
>  </xsl:matching-substring>
>   <xsl:non-matching-substring>
>   <xsl:value-of select="."/>

Thanks David,

I'm not quite following here. Please bare with me ;-)

Let me explain another way:
The sound a dog makes is woof and the sound a cat makes is bark.

Say I am looking for animals in the above example, then I can search
for anything that comes between "the sound" and "makes", but I don't
know what lies between those two patterns, so I cannot search for dog
or cat. What I need to do is to find something lying between two
regular expressions matchin "the sound" and "makes" and wrap that
something in an <animal> tag.

I have diverged from the original stage play scripts question, but
this will help me solve it. My guess is that I will end up writing a
function that will take 2 regular expressions, an element name and a
text string as parameters. The function will find text between the two
regular expressions and wrap it in an element matching the name. But
I'm just not experienced enough to figure this one out.