Re: [xsl] Avoiding boneheaded mistakes in XSLT?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Avoiding boneheaded mistakes in XSLT?
From: Dave Pawson <davep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 09:05:02 +0000

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 23:49:53 -0500
Graydon <graydon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Even without schema awareness/context, surely the processor can
> > tell when an xpath expression will result in zero match?
>
> But a zero match is completely legitimate, isn't it?
>
> If I'm matching on para/b, and much of my input doesn't have it, and
> some of it does, I shouldn't get a warning because I'm looking for
> something that isn't in this particular input file.
>
> Or am I completely mis-understanding what you want, there?

Agreed, there are cases where this might be wanted as a response
from an xpath expression. Hence a warning. Hence 'not all the time'.

But consider the typo that we all make from time to time .... to time.
If it can help find that, it helps debugging.

Once you've stared at a stylesheet for minutes on end and read what
you thought you wrote, rather than what you actually wrote....
Then any debug info helps!

--

regards

--