Re: [xsl] Avoiding boneheaded mistakes in XSLT?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Avoiding boneheaded mistakes in XSLT?
From: Piet van Oostrum <piet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 09:09:35 -0400

Dave Pawson wrote:

 > On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 23:13:01 +0000
 > Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 >
 > > I think the main reason for the problem is that an XSLT/XPath
 > > program makes many references to names (of elements and attributes)
 > > which do not have to be declared, so that using an incorrect name
 > > is not an error (either static or dynamic), but rather results in
 > > an XPath expression that simply selects nothing.
 >
 > I guess no one would do that deliberately?
 > Yet the rec and implementations don't provide any error | warning
 > about it?

It would be nice if processors would have a debug mode in which XPath expressions would be checked against a schema or DTD and give a warning when some 'impossible' expression is encountered. Impossible meaning something that never can give a non-empty result on valid documents. Probably just paths that are illegal according to the schema.
--
Piet van Oostrum
Cochabamba. URL: http://pietvanoostrum.com/