RE: [xsl] Novice Question - matching entire text children - RESOLVED

Subject: RE: [xsl] Novice Question - matching entire text children - RESOLVED
From: "David Lee" <dlee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 20:14:51 -0500

This thread provided such great responses.   Thank you all.
I usually don't lurk on this list because I *AM* a total Novice in XLST ...
(but not in other XML technology).
I guess I'm one of those people Michael mentioned that isn't in the "Loves
XSLT" category :)
"Novice" is relative :)  I just used it in the subject to make it perfectly
clear that almost certainly whatever I was doing was wrong
(rather than the assumption that the processor was wrong).

But I'm trying.   I even the "Tome" on my desk and I actually open it from
time to time.

Anyway to quest all your thirst for information.

I Took the strip-space directive and voila those nasty text nodes came back
This time armed with more knowledge I was able to resolve it

<drum roll>

I had an
	<xsl:apply-tempaltes match="text()">

on a NON-terminal node !!!
DUH.

It was matching all the blank space between child elements (indented XML of
course !).

Now I know I need to use the schema information to not do this except on
nodes with only text content.
And still need to think about how to handle comments.
Honestly I would have thought comments would be stripped by the data model
but I guess not.   Back to the books !

Again, that's for all your helpful and friendly help.

David A. Lee
dlee@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.xmlsh.org