Re: [xsl] xslt test automation

Subject: Re: [xsl] xslt test automation
From: Dave Pawson <davep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:18:51 +0000

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:04:00 +0000
Philip Fearon <pgfearo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> With the above, there are possibly 2 areas where it would be useful to
> have some kind of community standard:
> (1) the XML for expressing the test input environment

? Shared with any test environment?
What's being tested (versions ....)
When its being tested, who by?
Test program (version... parts ...)
software in use (xslt engine, java vsn, OS)
Expected output file.

> (2) the XML summarising the output
Common to any testing?
reference to test definition(s)
Test count run
Tests passed, failed, not run.

Oddity.
  templates [matched/named]used
  Templates [matched/named] not used.
  Input elements not matched (??? If applicable)
  functions used.
  XML comparison of expected/actual from each template.... Possible?
      Not sure. How to encapsulate depth? XMLdiff definitely needed.

Overall result.
Date/time/operator.

> I've previously appealed for views on a common format for the XML
> output summary but this wasn't met with enthusiasm at the time.

Define what's wanted first Phil? Defining XML wrappers ins't magic.
W3C has a markup IIRC?

> So, I'm afraid that, as yet, my company provides no framework that you
> can run from the command line, this is all managed from a GUI. Its
> kind of like an IDE, but with multi-column file lists intended for
> reviewing the large set of files that comprise a test suite, instead
> of the more conventional tabbed pages, which require you to first open
> a file to view it. - Tabbed pages are used, but only to let you switch
> between associated input, output and the XSLT.
>
> Phil Fearon
> http://qutoric.com

I'm almost convinced you need more than XSLT to test XSLT properly.
I can't see the GUI coming until testing has been defined?
I think you'll probably need help from Mike to use Saxon for testing.
I'm presuming you can't tweak the tested XSLT to test the XSLT... if
you see what I mean. That chappie and his cat effect?

No, not easy.

--

regards

--