Re: [xsl] question on EXSLT data partitioning

Subject: Re: [xsl] question on EXSLT data partitioning
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:23:36 -0400

Hi,

At 10:17 AM 10/20/2010, Martin wrote:
Erwan AMOUREUX wrote:
I frequently use this with msmxl or altova engine.
In that case, it's a 'default' position() by parent node , using the xml tree entirely .

Well the XSLT 2.0 specification at least is clear about that, see http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#key which says "When the key specifier of that xsl:key declaration is evaluated with a singleton focus based on $N". Singleton focus means "A singleton focus based on a node N has the context item (and therefore the context node) set to N, and the context position and context size both set to 1".

On the other hand, as always, when trying to assess absolute position in the tree (as opposed to position in the current node list), one can count preceding siblings.

I haven't tested so I can't say for sure it would help; but this at least suggests that a key-based approach does not have to fail. :-)

Cheers,
Wendell