[xsl] re: Generate identifier

Subject: [xsl] re: Generate identifier
From: "Vladimir Nesterovsky" <vladimir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 05:27:22 -0800

Hello!

Proceeding with my original question.

Is there a way to decompose characters like:
C& 'LATIN SMALL LETTER AE' (U+00E6)

into a separate letters?
Are there many such characters derived from Latin (I'll be calling replace()
if it's only one or two)?

Thanks.
--
Vladimir Nesterovsky
http://www.nesterovsky-bros.com/

> I need to convert a string into an identifier.
> Earlier I was using the following function:
>

> Now, I have to build a name with only containing [A-Za-z0-9] only.
> My problem is that I often see characters with modifiers like
> 00E0 C  LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH GRAVE
> 00E1 C! LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH ACUTE
> 00E2 C" LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH CIRCUMFLEX
> 00E3 C# LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH TILDE
> 00E4 C$ LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS
>
> My questions:
>   is it acceptable, from the perspective of a western language, to replace
those characters with a character without modifier;