Re: [xsl] Modern web site design with XML and XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Modern web site design with XML and XSLT
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 22:41:15 GMT

> I didn't suggest otherwise.  I'm pointing out that your lack of XML
> Prolog is causing Opera to choose utf-8.  It's a repeatable problem,
> and it is solvable (except doing so will put IE 6 into quirks mode).

that is not a problem so it needs no solution.
If it was a problem 9for exaple if teh files were in latin 1 so utf 8
was incorrect it can be solved by specifying the correct encoding in the
http headers.

> But I'm looking at two browsers with the same font settings, on the
> same system, with the same fonts available.  The only other explanation
> for the box relates to parsing.

there are all sorts of things that browsers, especially ie6 may get
wrong, but they can all read ascii files. the files you are refering to
are ascii, so clearly your explanation can not be the only one as it
does not apply here.

> It's an example of browsers using content-sniffing to override the
> server-defined media type.  As RFC 3023 explains, text/xml is for:

absolutely not, it is processing text/xml (or equivaently here if you
prefer, application/xml) as specified.

Using application/xhtml+xml for content using the xml-stylesheet pi is
not strictly wrong but is a suboptimal choice of mime type as the main
point of application/xhtml+xml is that it asks for html rendering of teh
supplied content, but if using xml-stylesheet the served document is
never rendered, what is rendered is the generated result dccument.

> The corollary is, can your XSLT output apply CSS stylesheets by adding
> XML PIs, or do you have to use <link/> tags?

since i'm generating xhtml it;s more natural to use link elements since
that's what they are there for. I haven't checked the status of css via
teh xml-stylesheet pi recently, but it's not really of any concern, it
would be more of a concern if the stylesheets were generating some non
xml vocabulary that was to be styled by css, but I don't know of anyone
who does that.

David