Re: [xsl] Modern web site design with XML and XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Modern web site design with XML and XSLT
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 21:02:01 GMT

> Yes, but I want one solution for IE 6+, which means doing the same
> thing they've done on NAG -- skip the XML Prolog so it won't put IE6
> into quirks mode.  Except I want the XML Prolog.  You can see the
> problem for yourself by viewing that link in Opera, which assumes the
> encoding to be utf-8, as you can see from the "Info" panel.  That's
> hardly my only reason, though.

the encoding specified in the xml declaration is ignored if the xml is
being served over http: the encoding specified in the http headers
takes precedence. This is specified in eth XMl Rec. Opera assumes those
files to be in utf8 because they are. (Actually they are in ascii but
that comes to the same thing), but had I generated them in some other
encoding that could have been speciied in the htp headers.
So I still don't see any evidence of the "problem".

David