Re: [xsl] Grouping into duplicates and non duplicate lists

Subject: Re: [xsl] Grouping into duplicates and non duplicate lists
From: Martin Honnen <Martin.Honnen@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:15:22 +0100

Cavanagh, Tim (DFEEST) wrote:
Hi, I have scoured the web for help on this and have been through the archives and Jenis' grouping pages but I cannot work it out. So here goes.

I am using xslt 1.0 and MSXML parser

I have an xml file that has a series of notes Like so
<CourseNote>
          <CourseNoteItem>
            <StudyGroupName>Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders</StudyGroupName>
            <Year>2009</Year>
            <CourseNoteText>A</CourseNoteText>
            <StudyGroupOrder>2</StudyGroupOrder>
            <StudyGroupCode>ATSI</StudyGroupCode>
            <DisplaySequence>2</DisplaySequence>
          </CourseNoteItem>
          <CourseNoteItem>
            <StudyGroupName>Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders</StudyGroupName>
            <Year>2009</Year>
            <CourseNoteText>B</CourseNoteText>
            <StudyGroupOrder>2</StudyGroupOrder>
            <StudyGroupCode>ATSI</StudyGroupCode>
            <DisplaySequence>5</DisplaySequence>
          </CourseNoteItem>
          <CourseNoteItem>
            <StudyGroupName>Award</StudyGroupName>
            <Year>2009</Year>
            <CourseNoteText>A</CourseNoteText>
            <StudyGroupOrder>1</StudyGroupOrder>
            <StudyGroupCode>AWD</StudyGroupCode>
            <DisplaySequence>2</DisplaySequence>
          </CourseNoteItem>
          <CourseNoteItem>
            <StudyGroupName>Award</StudyGroupName>
            <Year>2009</Year>
            <CourseNoteText>B</CourseNoteText>
            <StudyGroupOrder>1</StudyGroupOrder>
            <StudyGroupCode>AWD</StudyGroupCode>
            <DisplaySequence>5</DisplaySequence>
          </CourseNoteItem>
          <CourseNoteItem>
            <StudyGroupName>Award</StudyGroupName>
            <Year>2009</Year>
            <CourseNoteText>C</CourseNoteText>
            <StudyGroupOrder>1</StudyGroupOrder>
            <StudyGroupCode>AWD</StudyGroupCode>
            <DisplaySequence>7</DisplaySequence>
          </CourseNoteItem>
        </CourseNote>

There can be many different StudyGroupCodes, many CourseNoteTexts and many Years. I would like to display a 'Generic' List of notes eg those that are duplicated in every StudyGroup and then display lists of StudyGroups with the CourseNoteTexts that are not duplicated in all other StudyGroups. I am familiar with keys and get get lists of unigue items and group them but I cannot exclude the items that do not appear in all StudyGroups...

Can you post the XSLT output you want to create for the above input?

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/